‘WOMEN IN GOLF CHARTER’ NORWOOD PARK GOLF FIRST IN NOTTS !
Norwood Park Golf, has been the first club in Nottinghamshire to be acknowledged by the R&A and England Golf.
The progressive Award Winning Club has pledged to drive participation among Women and Girls as well as encouraging more females to pursue a career within the golf industry.
Norwood Park Golf already has an extensive history of supporting both County & National initiatives including:
- Supporting England Golf ‘Girls Golf Rocks’ programme which targets beginner girls aged 7 – 14 years to learn golf in a fun and friendly way. Norwood was a pilot Centre for the national project in 2016, and has since developed weekly coaching groups, outreach work in schools and fun events at the Club
- Many of Norwood Junior Girls are now County players & Junior Member Maddie Smith was recently selected for the England Golf Regional Training Squad
- PGA Professional Richard Strange is the lead County Girls Coach, with Norwood the training base for the County Girls Squad
- The Membership pathway to support the retention of Women & Girls within the Club is also highlightedas a key positive area.
- The ‘Pink Ladies’ weekly Coaching groups and Par 3 Club provide the ideal stepping stone into full Membership
- Over the past 10 years Female membership has increased by 106 %, whilst Girls membership a staggering 550% increase. An overall a 100% increase.
The club has put in place plans to measure the success of each pledge as well as having set timescales linked to each commitment.
Norwood Park Golf has received the backing and full support from England Golf – the governing body for the amateur game in the country.
England Golf will provide assistance via its network of Club Support Officers to enable the club to develop and expand their policy in the months and years to come.
“It has been fantastic to work with Norwood on their Women in Golf Charter. Committing to women and girls’ golf is nothing new for Norwood; they have worked very hard in the past on recruiting and retaining women by throwing themselves into national campaigns as well as creating their own initiatives. Becoming a Charter signatory formalises their commitment for now and in the future and I look forward to following their progress.”
Emily Rowbottom, Club Support Officer, England Golf (Midlands East)
The Club has also appointed a Charter Champion to help co-ordinate the development of the plan. Golf Development Officer Jackie Macey who has a wealth of knowledge within the industry having worked in Golf for over 30 years, and is excited about leading the Women in Golf Charter campaign. She is also a former England Golf Coach Academy Organiser, and a secondary school teacher
The Women in Golf Charter was introduced in 2018 by The R&A with the full backing of England Golf.
In October 2020, the initiative was given further impetus with the launch of the #FOREeveryone campaign.
The campaign begins with the distribution of a toolkit resource, designed to provide guidance on operational and marketing improvement to help attract more women and girls to the sport.
Norwood Park Golf is now ready to contribute actively towards commitments that can change the culture of golf to the benefit of all of those who play and love the sport.